Combat AI Designer
343 is looking for a Combat AI Designer to join us in building compelling combat with a focus on AI-controlled enemies and vehicles. The ideal candidate possesses a strong understanding of current AI Design, a proven record of collaborating and communicating cross-discipline, and has experience building and tuning challenging encounters. A Designer in this role can expect to work on all gameplay areas of Halo AI, including enemies, friendlies, non-combatants, pre- and post-combat AI, as well as vehicle AI.
• Work closely with other AI Designers to create compelling AI combatants.
• Ensure that all other disciplines working on characters have the clear design goals they will need to perform their work.
• Seek out input and ideas from other disciplines and teams to ensure that all character needs are met across all game modes.
• Prototype systems and new characters quickly with script and proxy assets to prove out all-new gameplay.
• Work closely with Engineers to build new gameplay features for use in AI systems and on new characters.
• Work closely with Sandbox and Campaign Designers to make the core gameplay loop shine in shipping encounters.
• Take systems and characters from prototype through production, final tuning and shipping.
• Work with User Research to verify that the player experience of characters and AI systems is clear, fun and supports different levels of skill.
• Gather feedback from playtests to inform tuning and iteration.
Qualifications & Skills:
• 3+ years relevant game development experience.
• 1+ shipped AAA title or equivalent experience.
• Ability to demonstrate analysis of combat AI in at least one Halo game, and discuss strengths and weaknesses.
• Passion for creative enemy design through compelling AI combatants.
• Scripting experience (Lua a plus).
• Familiarity with game engines/tools Unreal, Frostbite, Unity etc).
• Excellent communication skills, particularly in communicating design needs and goals across disciplines.
• Experience in successfully pitching ideas, strategic initiatives, and game concepts to peers and leads.
• React positively to design critiques, and turn feedback into stronger designs through iteration.
• Positive, self-starting attitude.
To apply for this position, please mail us with your resume (In .txt, .doc, .docx, or .pdf format) and cover letter at email@example.com. Let us know the location and position you’re applying for in your e-mail.